The world needs to continue to learn how China’s Wuhan is dealing with COVID-19 after it cleared all severe cases and lifted the lockdown, said an official with the World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday.
Hubei Province, where Wuhan is located, continued to see no new COVID-19 case on Thursday, the 27th consecutive day since April 4, said the provincial health authorities. Meanwhile, life in Wuhan is returning to normal with all severe COVID-19 cases cleared last week.
Maria van Kerkhove, technical lead for WHO Health Emergencies Program, congratulated Hubei, as well as Wuhan, on this accomplishment.
“That’s very, very welcome news to hear that there are no more severe cases, no more patients in Wuhan. China has worked very hard to bring the outbreak under control. I was there for two weeks and working directly with ministry officials, and officials from all different sectors, from hospitals through communities to really see what was put in place to bring those numbers down. So [I have] nothing but admiration and thanks for the tireless efforts of people in Wuhan, not just the healthcare workers, but the individuals who stayed in their homes, who adhered to the public health measures for for an extended period of time. We take our hats off to you,” she said.
Kerkhove continued to say that the world needs to continue to learn from how Wuhan dealing with the virus in the post-lockdown stage.
“The world has learned from China as it has from all countries that are dealing with COVID-19, and it is welcomed news to hear that there are no severe cases in Wuhan, that city really has had the hardest hit early on. There are a number of cities are dealing with this now, and we need to continue to learn from Wuhan and how they are lifting those measures, how they are bringing society back to normal, or a new normal,” she said.